Hill Street Baptist Church has been a pillar of the Asheville community for over 100 years.
Hill Street Baptist Church started as a place of worship for black residents in 1915 in the Stumptown neighborhood not far from downtown. Parishioners met in an old school house. It wasn’t until 1949 that they were able to build their own church.
In 1932 Hill Street Baptist Church was publishing and distributing one of the first black newspapers in Asheville, The Church Advocate.
In 1955, it started a small day care. Today, the four-star center cares for more than 60 children, allowing many low-income parents to remain employed.
By the late 1970’s Hill street was offering academic tutoring to children, many who were living in poverty. In 1984, it had purchased a bus allowing parishioners to take their message of God’s love to the streets.
Today the church has more than a 100 year history in the community.